Thursday 24 January 2019

Don't do dosas .


You know when you invite someone to lunch ,  full of joie de vivre and a couple of drinks and then have plenty of time to regret it ?
 Saturday since you're asking .

He only eats " plain English food " he says .

My inclination would be to carry on with current experiments with savoury pancakes with fillings gussied up with garam masala , chilli flakes and other niceness .

My default ( and what you would get if you hadn't visited before ) would be my lasagne . The ragu and the cheese sauce must be to die for and the salad en point . People generally have second helpings , more wine and undo their top buttons .

Neither the Indian or the Italian are on though are they ?
The saxophonist says give him the lasagne .
The saxophonist ? Oh thank you for asking but you don' need to anymore . He walks into town on his own . He's driven the car round the block and he's been out for a drink with me several evenings this week .

Anyway plain English food . I could use the cold weather as an excuse just to make a kick ass stew and dumplings plus spring greens .
Afters are up for grabs and are :

1. homemade treacle tart and clotted cream .

2. an old fashioned trifle .

3. little apple and blackberry pies made in muffin tins , sugar topped and served with ice cream or custard .

4. proper rice pudding with a vanilla pod split into it and some double cream plus a dollop of it on the side .

All typically English and cold weatherish .

What should I make or am I missing a trick and it should be something else entirely ?
Comments welcome as usual but if anybody feels moved to mention calorie counting or fat free substitutes they should be ready to be called joyless and be deleted straight way . Ha !

16 comments:

  1. Well I suppose I would make a cottage pie or probably buy a couple of ready made ones from M&S and heat them up and serve them as my own. He who only likes English food will tuck in and it will be delicious so be prepared for second helpings. Treacle tart for afters and a ready made one will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have bought the meat for the stew now , so will carry on . Who does a decent "shop" treacle tart ?
    Bet its Marks and Sparks ! I must confess I am no stranger to their Raspberry Royale .
    NB see my reply to your comment on my previous post - it meant something to me that you thought that .

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only treacle tart I ever bought was a Waitrose one and it was good. As good as mum used to make.

    I had to reacquaint myself with the previous post and comment. Yes, well so often people don't understand about shit in life or can't address it. We can and do. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed you had decided on stew and Spring greens. Sounds just as good as cottage pie.

      Delete
  4. Chuckle. All will be well, or not. Let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lasagne? Stew and dumplings?? Rice pudding???
    Save a seat for me - - I'll be right over! And to hell with counting calories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If someone is feeding you surely you need to be grateful and appreciative not make demands, your house your rules cook what you like and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you and have learned my lesson - see next post......

      Delete
  7. You cannot go wrong with a good roast dinner, I think. The stew is a good second though. Tip - make your dumplings with fresh horseradish in the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just make for me the traditional Chateaubriand with four tender vegetables
    followed by Apple Pie and Clotted Cream and I'll be your friend forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cinnamon in the apple pie and a few golden sultanas ?

      Delete
  9. I say serve what you fancy making, and let the plain eater pick and choose. Maybe have some fresh fruit on the side. What is "plain English food" anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its what people who do not really like food choose .It isn't typical of English food .Being an island race with a lot of agriculture we do splendid fish and of course our roasts each with a piquant sauce of it's own .The cuisine takes in a "full English " breakfast and afternoon tea .Better stop I'm getting hungry .
      The picky guest hinted about health issues - a good number of which were in his head .He is the sort of person who would eat a mashed potato sandwich !

      Delete