Tuesday 8 January 2019

A practical post .


Before we were overtaken by events I used to buy groceries on the wing . Previously potatoes could easily have been driven a hundred miles before I peeled them .

It's obviously different now, at least for a while . All meals at home . Browsing recipe books . Finding food to savour and recipes that I relish cooking .
 Sometimes of course its simpler , something on toast , homemade soup or a cake fresh from the oven . Either way I am looking at who to give my loyalty and cash to .
 I like to see what I am buying and to change my mind if a seasonal treat appears so I won't shop on line . Instead I've looked at shops I can walk to with more or less ease . Tesco , Sainsbury , Aldi , Marks and Spencer and Waitrose .

Initial reaction ? Cheap isn't cheap if it turns out to be substandard and you don't eat it and it seems the two shops in the mix that are said to be more expensive often are not .

Practical advise sought then .
Where do you go , why ,  and what do you recommend from their shelves ?

4 comments:

  1. I buy frozen peas and frozen Brussel spouts, they're the best and quick. I buy meat in M&S and never Waitrose, quality is much better. And the tinned stuff comes from Sainsburys mainly because that is the only other shop around here and cheaper than Waitrose and cat food is always a loss leader with them and draws me in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip about the M&S meat v Waitrose.

      Delete
  2. Lidl is getting better, and is usually half the price of Waitrose - my corner shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are the cook for the most part (?) and quite like the thought of you being in the mood for a little bit of Lidl ..... ah that sounds dodgy now I've typed it.

      Delete