Thursday 9 April 2020

A slapdash rainbow .


As I go to buy groceries I pass houses with pieces of paper taped to the front window .

They are all children's drawings of a rainbow .
Some are very precise , great effort has been made to keep the lines of colour properly delineated.

Others are by a smaller hand and consequently more in the spirit of drawing a rainbow rather than capturing something more technical .

I passed a house standing on it's own and in a bedroom window was another large rainbow .

Whoever had painted it had clearly wanted to make their own symbol of hope ( as they all are ) .
The young would be artist had clearly had trouble with his brush , the paint on offer and , rather obviously , the water provided to rinse his brush in .

Quite frankly the thing wasn't very good. It wouldn't win any prizes .
However , you could see what it was supposed to be and you could see that our young artist had , perhaps rather over enthusiastically , given it his best shot .

My wish for anyone who might read this that they may have a slapdash rainbow in their heart tonight .

11 comments:

  1. As gay was taken so it is with rainbow. Haven't seen any here but then I wouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rainbow is of course used by the GBQT community too . The rainbow symbol in the windows is also a biblical reference .Language and its usage moves all the time , things going into and coming out of the dictionary .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard it is the symbol of the NHS tonight.

      Delete
    2. Yep , the children began by doing them as symbols of hope and it has moved on again and now some of them have NHS or thank you NHS under the rain bow's arc .

      Delete
  3. I love seeing all the rainbows. I counted 11 in a short road near here on my dog walk. They are chalking them on the pavement too. Just come over to you from Rosemary in NY when I saw you were from UK. I also read Rachel and have done for several years!! I am in Herts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you've offered just such a rainbow here. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are no rainbows here, but there are stuffed animals in windows so our bored children can do a treasure hunt. I'm trying for the slapdash rainbow in my heart. I need to let go of the normal and what I want, and deal with what is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe now IS the time to do what you want .A guiltless pleasure - for this is not of your making and anything positive you might do automatically makes you part of the solution and not part of the problem

      Delete