Friday 2 August 2019

Beat .


We went for a drink with a cousin of mind last night . His ailments are various and the people he disapproves of are many . I think we may excuse ourselves from further joy !

Anyway woke this morning feeling despondent about life and old , very old .

So the saxophonist being the best physician there is said " lets go to London ".

So I put on a new dress and some scent and we went .

Round to the little independent publishers I love . Price had gone up but I bought six gems anyway , across to the artists colourment shop and on to eat chinese at leisure and in the cool .
On to one of my favourite shops .
 Black silky slip dress in the sale and new season soft moss hoodie to sling nonchalant over the top . ( I will wear it with this seasons girlie socks and stacks .)

Out to sit in the shade and sip water .

Along from us was a street performer . A young woman with wild brown hair and a full drum kit . She had speakers and a backing tape . Think drum and base ( a la Jumping Jack Frost .)

Interesting to watch . The men treated her like any other street performer .
The women , though , that was  different .

She was very good ( and technically good the saxophonist said ).

There were two types of women and in each group were old and young , wealthy and not so much .

One group tightened their lips , pulled their cardigans across them and walked away .

The other group ( and very diverse they were ) moved to the rhythm , smiled back at her , clapped and gave her money . In some cases a five pound note .
Stately Japanese lady in a straw hat , blond American , two ladies in saris , two little girls and their mum  with dread locks .

Summer in the city , exuberant and loud wild music that said . " I love drumming and I'm good at it , I love being a woman and I 'm good at it ".

Didn't have to decide which camp I was in just knew I did not feel old any more .

1 comment: