Monday 26 February 2018

Defiant chameleon .


A couple of years back there was a death in the family . The sort that isn't just the end of an era but the end of something bigger .
 Some people close life down as they get older . They stop seeing and listening . So I guess in their eyes you are the you you were thirty years ago .
 All the stuff that built you and changed you didn't happen for them . There you are before the achievements , without experience and those scars .

So when it happened I needed a bit of space where I thought about something else . The funeral arrangements , paperwork and all the rest that comes at such a time .
We drove to a lively town we like and had a big fat lunch . Then went for a wander round the shops .

Heading round a corner I spotted a new shop . It was pure luxury. Warm , smelt delicious and had rows and rows of jewel like jars , bottles and tubes .
A fancy makeup shop .Seductive balm as I  thought about who I was now .
Now that no one could make me feel that callow girl anymore .

I don't always wear makeup . Think scandanavian minimalism , pared back , stark - you get the picture .
Now, though ,I took one of their little baskets and I bought all the people I wanted to try on .

I bought a lipstick so that I could be the scarlet harlot .
I bought liner and mascara so that I could be left bank .
I bought flame coloured eye shadow so that I could vamp my way into a party .
I bought brushes and rouge so that I could be haughty and aloof with high , high cheekbones .
In short I spent a lot of money and I loved it .

Another day another visit .  Polish for turquoise toe nails .
Another visit for cherry lipped kissing at Christmas .

It was too cold to go where we intended today so we went back to that town again .
 After another big fat lunch , fugitives from the snow , we hit the shopping centre .

Of course I went to "my" shop . Of course I filled up a little basket  . Little boxes and phials to savour later .
I was the only one in the shop and the girls chatted as I browsed . "We are not supposed to say but this branch is shutting in a fortnight ".

I wished them well and left with my shiny stash . I felt sad that the happy habit would end .

Then I realised something .
I have moved on , imperceptibly , in these two years . I have grown - evolved if you like .
I am not a defiant chameleon .
I am happy in my own skin .
Of course I'll paint my eyes from time to time or put on a saucy red lipstick  some Saturday night . But I am glad to realise that is all it is now .

GRAND SALE ANNOUNCED !
lipsticks for sale . All colours available .

6 comments:

  1. Less is definitely better. I've always been most attracted to women who have a natural look (too much makeup is only for clowns).

    I love the description you used: "I bought all the people I wanted to try on".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just picture the shop and think I would love it. Not necessarily even to buy anything but just to enjoy all the tiny containers and colours, like trinkets... treasure!
    As for wearing make-up, I love to do so, I've always enjoyed the 'art' of it, which I think harks back to my punky days when I really was drawing with eyeliner and trying to be as bold and creative as possible. Now - of course! - I wear nothing like as much but it always makes me feel 'finished' when I go out. Compared to young girls I see around now though, the ones plastered in foundation, all that contouring stuff, their massive brows drawn on and false eyelashes weighing down their lids, seems I've always been quite minimalist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think of you as a woman who does not need to wear a mask so this makes sense .
      Come to think of it I would not mind a girlie pub night with you .

      Delete
  3. A young friend of mine who would never leave the house without make-up, lost the lot one day recently. She had to go to work with no make-up, and get her brother to send some round via courier. Scarred for life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep , but are you immune to some of the effects makeup can have on an onlooker .
      Its an interesting thought - the various purposes and reactions people have with makeup .

      Delete