Tuesday 6 February 2018

Smug and sticky .


Today is the coldest day of the year so far . ( Around here at least .)

Last weekend I finally came upon a stall piled high with blood oranges and fat lemons too .
What better to do then than stay in the warm and make marmalade . I switched on the radio , put an apron on and set too . I'd forgotten how labour intensive it is .Especially paring off the peel and leaving the pith , them slicing the peel into thin , thin , tiny batons .

The whole house is now scented with oranges and my hands sting from the citrusy juices . I am sitting , in solitary splendour , at the table with hot coffee and a cigarette writing this as the marmalade boils .

Cooking is continuity isn't it . Good ingredients , enough skill and there you have it . Simple but perfect in a homemade sort of way . A form of alchemy .

Two people can walk into a kitchen .
 One can have bread and water . The other a pot of tea and some hot buttered toast .
We can always choose which person we want to be .

I'm glad I made marmalade today .

6 comments:

  1. Bread and water, tea and buttered toast, both are good in their way. I think I am both people, depending on the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made marmalade, but it sounds like a wonderful indulgence. The scent of oranges is heavenly (lemons, too).

    My Hungarian grandmother used to always make me tea and buttered toast when I was a young child - - and I still love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice comment , you can have some of my marmalade for the toast .

      Delete
  3. I just found you too! Lovely to read your blog. Coincidentally I've just finished off a jar of home-made marrmalade, but not made by me - the handiwork of a friend (my 'surrogate' father as I call him!) and it was delicious. Could only have been home-made. Alchemy, I like that.

    ReplyDelete