Monday 15 January 2018

A bit of a find.

I had a bit of a find a couple of days ago.

In summer we have a couple of huge cotton quilts on the bed. When the temperature dropped like a stone the saxophonist got the duvets down and put them in the mix.
We lay like mummies hoping the heat would build - useless .We clung together and listened to the sound of two sets of teeth chattering   (  definitely not sexy ) . Having the window shut just kept us awake longer to consider how cold we were.

The saxophonist admitted he thought he might have got the thinner ones down . I gave him what I like to think of my withering look.We hauled out the other set . "Oh joy "I said, "toasty warm , totally tropical , we shall sizzle like sausages". He gave me what he likes to think of as his withering look.
Marital harmony and warmth was restored.

"What's in that other box" I said. He pulled it down and there were three boxes of crackers in there.
Now this may seem like small beer to you but not to me.

Everyone has that scrap of the childlike ( not to be confused with childish ) joy left in them.Yours may be carol singers on Christmas eve , a slice of chocolate log , the tree.
Mine is crackers.
I don't just like crackers I adore them . With pre Christmas offers and late December sales it is not unusual for me to get through six boxes.
The rustle of the paper .  The enticing weight of one cracker over another . The paper hat. I do like a good paper hat . Some years if we have been invited to lots of parties come new year,on my side of the bed,there is a small pile of hats. A few pierrot  and pirate hats but mostly the coloured tissue hats from crackers.

It is part of my Christmas to lay down in the dark in a hat . I drowsily turn over and the hat does not , it just makes a decadent rustle as I drift off .
Of course  the gift is not to be sniffed at . This year I have acquired two water pistols , two fortune telling fish and five Freddie frog novelty rubbers (erasers if you are American ). I have had through my hands and sometimes been able to swap black plastic moustaches that make your eyes water , mini yoyo's , tiny skittles etc etc.

Crackers are never banal to me . I never tire of them and I now have three more boxes to savour.

In a cold dark January , in the dormouse days ,  its no bad thing to put on a party hat and go back to a nice warm bed .
Try it .

1 comment:

  1. Oh my. Such memories you’ve brought back to me! I haven’t thought about cracker pops (as we called them) in years! The tissue hats. A whistle. Plastic fish. Wow.

    ReplyDelete