Saturday 21 March 2020

Water is immortal .


Went miles out today , to a seascape .

I looked at the water and thought " you have seen everything . Choppy or becalmed  , you have been witness to loss and gain , defeat and victory over and over again .

I thought we would be all but alone out there but we weren't .

Woolly hatted and carrying a thermos ,  people came . People of all ages , classes and types . One group had fold up chairs and a wind break on the shingle .

I looked at the sea again and , beautiful as it was today , I thought  "you aren't the only one . Whether it's oxtail or Nescafe in the Thermos , metaphorically speaking , it's clear that the human spirit is immortal , it carries us forward , tenacious , alive to beauty , alert to common sense ."

Neither the Telegraph nor the Guardian with  all their stats , commentators and editorials can fathom how powerful , and moving , it was , in spite of all , to see somebody hammer in a windbreak on the shingle today.

11 comments:

  1. On the east coast it was so crowded today a plea was made for people to go home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No , no crowds , no shared facilities . Lots of people but all with big gaps between them , strung out round the coast line . Everybody was very respectful of other people's space but lots of strangers gave one another a grin , a thumbs up or a wave.

      Delete
    2. Yes, yes. I was just telling you about the east coast here in some parts. I believe you!

      Delete
    3. Oh ,I'm not getting stuffy xx
      By the way are you doing Masterchef this year .We are.I had tipped the plump dark haired girl for the final . The one who went home last night ....

      Delete
    4. Yes, me too, but she didn't do so well last night.

      Delete
  2. This has been the windiest winter I can remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do see that this is a testing time to get the groceries you require but even so I'd lay off the radishes if I were you . Maybe swerve the sprouts too .

      Delete
  3. Nice that you can walk to the ocean. I used to live on the Gulf of Mexico and miss it still. In good and frustrating times it is very calming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In England you are never very far from the sea .We are just a small island really - oh sorry that sounded like a geography lesson didn't it !
      Anyway thanks for visiting .

      Delete
  4. Said it beofe: I like the way you write. The sea is very inspiring isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah now here's a timely push ! I was thinking that tomorrow was the one to start a push at the allotment and then you rock up .I will go asap and then hopefully go in for some unseemly bragging about my overwintering onions on the blog .

      Delete