Wednesday 25 December 2019

December the 25th .


The saxophonist picked up the Christmas cards from the mat on Wednesday and reappeared in the bedroom . " Look " he said . I looked .

It was his new driving licence .
The slow admin at the consultants office had meant that we had forecast about March .

He took a speculative look on the net . There was his ideal car at the right price at a garage that was fairly near us . He test drove it .

Christmas eve morning we drove it away from the garage .

I had the turkey crown , sprouts etc , etc ready for Christmas day .

This morning , however , I rose early , had a shower and sat wet haired at the table sipping a steaming mug of strong tea .
The saxophonist joined me . There was a very brief and very happy discussion .

I packed corned beef sandwiches , some cheese , some tomatoes . I added Coxes apples and a fiery ginger cake I'd made . The saxophonist boiled the kettle and packed good coffee and some milk .

We stood on a sunny beach . I cried , he grinned and we knew this journey of a years flight from the bad time and the illness was over .
I held him very tight and he held me very tight .

I hope you had a happy Christmas .
We did .

5 comments: