Monday 29 April 2019

You can stick your ticket .


Following on from yesterdays rant / opinions aired ...... (thanks for your encouraging comments - what follows is your own fault ) :

What do you think about waiting rooms and queues ?

Yes ! I thought so .

A long wait expected or otherwise is a regular occurrence .Also of course those waiting in the queue will have amongst them people who are an oppression to the spirit .

( How I love those people who bring a paperback and a patient attitude . Those who sit silent apart from the very occasional gentle sigh betokening fellow feeling on your mutual wait . )

Can we also agree on the new mother who apparently is the only person in the world ever to have given birth , breast fed , had the absolute God given right to a 100% attention of every member of the public health profession breathing .
Likewise accompanying grandmother who is hot wired to say loudly that the baby is named for a royal and is therefore regal or named for a long dead antecedent and therefore has gravitas .
Said great grandfather may have been a farm labourer ( and good for him and all others of his ilk ) but the passage of time has allowed grandmother , she thinks , to add a rich , rural , crust to said labourer . Said labourer is now the backbone of Britain , purveyor of sustenance and good rumbustious bucolic joy to the masses . He is the sanitised superior to anything on your family tree or mine . He is "ye olde merry England ".

Ok .... rant over .

Cause ?
The last few health checks for the saxophonist and the saxophonists wife who has been coerced into well women / responsible citizen checks when caught with her guard down waiting for the saxophonist .

Remedy ?
Get through the bloody things and then use common sense and intelligence to swerve all pointless nonsense and thence exercise autonomy . Meaning practice nurses who say you should eat this or exercise that whilst being the size of a barrel . ( I am size 10 to 12 ) .Resist the urge to say " I am fully cognitive of your expertise and agenda and cordially invite you to fuck off " .

So gentle reader thank you for taking a number and sitting it out on a hard seat with the mother/baby/grandmother combo on one side and a man with nasty trousers and a twitch on the other .

Your reward is the writers solemn oath that the next post will be informed by the writer having a good meal in China town and  time in the national gallery .

16 comments:

  1. Before I retired I was one of those health care workers and I can’t tell you the number of times I wanted to say to women (and their mothers) that they were not the only person in the world to have a baby, breast feed or any of the other things they thought that made them special. Of course I never said it, just smiled and screamed it inside my head! And as for the waiting room thing, why can’t people take a book and wait patiently? It’s not like we were sitting behind closed doors with our feet up so we could wind people up. Anyway rant over. Thank goodness I don’t have to do that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I have to see anyone I always thank them for their time unless they have truly been rude or useless .I have good reason to value the medical profession ( see post of Christmas last year ).What always surprises me how the recipient always seems surprised and grateful .There must be an awful lot of selfish and /or rude patients out there .

      Delete
    2. It is indeed surprising and unusual to be thanked these days but to know you’ve helped even just one person makes the job worthwhile.
      Have only just found your blog so will work my way backwards :)

      Delete
  2. I don't get caught with my guard down in the way you describe. I have little or no experience of queues of this nature either but am able to do things with good grace if required.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know , I know the Rachel mantra "take no shit " - and you are right of course .

      Delete
  3. I try to bring a crossword & occupy my time thusly. A long wait, however, can sometimes feel like such a slog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't you like to swap the crossword for a water pistol - just some times ?

      Delete
  4. If waiting were an Olympic sport, I could happily be a medallist. It's the downtime for headspace, daydreaming, making up stories, coming up with ideas, observing people and their funny ways (and nasty trousers), and thinking of comments to leave on blogs. It's the huffing and puffing and loud complaining of others less able to switch off that intrudes and spoils what could otherwise be a perfect oasis of calm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I some times go for the old favourite of imaging the person in question naked , sitting on the loo and wearing an orange fright wig .I like a snigger ...

      Delete
  5. I am the person without the paperback sighing deeply as the clock ticks by, and I am also the very irritating person who makes several trips to the counter to inquire how much longer it will be, while my long-suffering husband, the heart patient, rolls his eyes at my impatience. So, rest assured, I empathize, though I might not help things if I were in the same waiting room, and I might even end up in this post next to the royal baby, which did make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Royal baby post ?
      By the way I haven't received any of your posts via e mail .
      Oh and xx re the fellow feeling on husbands and hospitals .

      Delete
    2. I can't set up email with a private blog unfortunately. You'd have to search the blog name 37paddington, or put in my url, 37paddington.blogspot.com

      Delete
    3. if you have trouble getting there, if you're shut out, email me at 37paddington@gmail.com and I'll send the invite again.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete