Thursday 12 April 2018

Of weather and courage .

Wet
Bloated , saturated , water oozing from every orifice : eyes , arse and everywhere in between .The landscape is drunk on water .

Its Falstaff , its the fat boy of Dingley dell in the Pickwick papers .
Collar undone , belt undone , still it's fat with water . No sluish gate  , no lock and certainly no man with a broom will make a difference .

Wet
Two  young Canada geese , cocky and sarky come up from the estuary .They start  along the grass parallel to the path .
On the path trendy hikers and the determinedly middle class walk wet in the expensive attire that style forgot .
The two geese wink at me and start to strut mimicking the pretensions on the path .

Dry
Many years ago ,being reckless , I walked into the newly opened hairdressers .
There stood a tall , big boned Asian man . I sat down and told him I wanted "different " and "bold". He wanted to know how much courage I had got .
I told him.
He said he hoped I was as excited as he was. Then he cut my long , long hair . And then he cut some more and shaved some more .
I stood up again with just peach fuzz on my head .We were both excited and I walked away to turn heads .

Wet
The rain is never far away . Get half way down the hill and you are sodden before you start your day .
Tired of the relentless weather . Tired of being tired I sit at the table and remember livelier times . I reach over and put the phone on the table . I sit silent listening to the rain . I have the phone number but do I have the courage ?
I ring and he answers . So I summon what courage I can and and I and my long hair go out .
I remind him of that spectacular cut .We both smile broadly .
He cuts .

Dry
So I sit here ,  late at night , listening to fresh music and drinking sappy green wine .
He cut , we hugged and the saxophonist says I look like a confident woman .

And I am  - me and my short shock of fire cracker hair .

6 comments:

  1. How many orifices are there between the eyes and the arse? Let me guess... let's see... nose... mouth... err... Anyway, nice hair do. It will grow back if you don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love what the saxophonist said. he got it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Bold" and "Different" are two words that should never be mentioned anywhere near a hairdresser.

    I'm wondering which place is more perpetually wet and soggy - - your neck of the woods or mine?

    ReplyDelete
  5. (sorry - - I messed up my first comment)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I relate to this completely. I love short hair. I love having short hair. Short, shorter... and I love getting it cut... it's like an addiction.

    ReplyDelete