Friday 9 February 2018

Lay the table .


A lot of stuff happened . Two deaths in the family and three  betrayals  plus the fallout which showed clear daylight on a lot of other people .

So we walked away . A lot of walking got done on solitary beaches . Sometimes together and sometimes alone .
Eventually, though you look up and realise you can now take your umberella down .

So it comes time to savour again the things that ,necessarily , got pushed to the margins .

So what of the kitchen ?  Well , gradually chutney bubbled again and marmalade perfumed the house but what else ?

I grew up on farm house and country house food . Then by observation , osmosis , and intuition cooked it . Not the painting by numbers that the sainted Delia prescribed (and thus knocked any confidence and creativity out of a potential cook ). No , this was more commonsense , resourcefulness ,a bit of skill and a lot of greed .

Now it's different .The postman's bored with hearing me belt down the back stairs to get the latest second hand cookery book . Mind you he often suppresses a grin as I emerge hair half up , half down looking like Bella from the bordello in the saxophonist's dressing gown .
The book's are various and so this week I'm making :

moussaka
a stir fry
dolmades
deep fried squid
and a pineapple crumble with clotted cream custard
and then having a sit down - obviously .

So what I want to know is what are  you cooking and if some of the inspiration comes from a couple of books , what are they ?
I'll show you mine if you show me yours .

Note to self : put less red meat in next week's menu .

7 comments:

  1. We cook a lot with cauliflower these days. It has many disguises. Also zucchini. It pretends to be pasta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have discovered how good and how different brussel sprouts are roasted .Do you roast/char cauliflower ?

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about the deaths in the family. I suppose every family has betrayals (and strife, bickering, etc etc)....unfortunately.

    Your kitchen always sounds delightful and intriguing, well...except for the deep fried squid. But who knows? Maybe I'd like it.

    Do they still have paint by numbers? I haven't seen them since I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re the squid , think sunny mediterranean terrace and a glasses of icy white wine .An endless evening of good conversation ,a bit of flirting , music - of course you are going to try the squid !

      Delete
  3. Today I grate fresh horseradish for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much , much worse than the strongest onions for making you cry - still it will definitely clear your sinuses I s'pose .

      Delete